Under the Stars in Margaritaville
Wasted away again in style.
Well, spirits lovers, it's May 8, which means it's three days after Cinco de Mayo, which means margaritaphiles (that's you) have been in a celebratory haze for 72 hours. Where can you shake off the tequila in favor of something brighter and lighter? Rooftop bars are opening all over the country just in time for summer.
* Salon de Ning is scheduled to debut on May 16 at The Peninsula New York. They're calling the style Shanghai Deco, a melange of cultures reflecting the glamour of 1930s Shanghai, the "Paris of the East."
* Also in New York, Hell's Kitchen is getting its very own ultra-modern rooftop lounge this month. Highbar by restaurateur Greg Brier boasts spectacular views of the Hudson and all the amenities found indoors (air-conditioned areas, dedicated service professionals, ambiance).
* In Vegas, "daylife" is born with the opening of Wet Republic (pictured) at the MGM Grand. Think poolside pampering (a 53,000-square-foot pool, that is) meets nightclub.
* The award-winning Peninsula Beverly Hills Hotel will unveil its fully redesigned Roof Garden this May. L.A.-based Cheryl Rowley Design is overseeing the $4 million renovation, which will outfit the building with a swimming pool and an outdoor bar and dining area.
* Finally, in Brooklyn, Studio B has expanded to a new full-floor rooftop level. For now, palm trees abound, but come winter, you can still stargaze--the new space has a retractable glass roof.