Bidding for Sustainable Travel
Sustainable Travel International is in the middle of its second annual Green Travel Auction, in which you can buy earth-friendly trips, hotel stays, and travel accessories for prices considerably below the retail value. Several packages are still available at the opening bid--often less than half the retail price. Some of my favorites:
* A 3-night stay at Journeys Within's B&B in Siem Reap, and a tour of their projects with founder Brandon Ross, $220.
* A 3-night all-inclusive program at the Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica in Peru for two, $700.
* A 7-night Galapagos cruise by Ecoventura, $3,000.
* A 2-night stay at Ecuador's Black Sheep Inn, $150.
* A 3-night all-inclusive stay at the Yachana Lodge in the Ecuadorian rain forest, $250.
* A 4-person rafting trip on Idaho's Clearwater River, plus 2 nights at ROW Adventures' River Dance Lodge, $400.
The bidding ends at 8 p.m. EDT on Sunday, July 19. Since all auction items were donated by members of Sustainable Travel International, every dollar you spend goes to STI, a not-for-profit dedicated to promoting responsible tourism.
* Responsible Traveler: Making a difference
* Connecting for Good: Join Condé Nast Traveler and Ashoka in this international competition for the best ideas on how to encourage citizens everywhere to travel more