Great Summer Mountain Towns
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- The World's Best Hiking Trails ›
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- The World's Most Beautiful Botanical Gardens ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- The Last Wild Place ›
- 11 Hard-to-Get-to Hotels ›
- Natural Swimming Holes Around the World ›
- Last-Minute Escapes: Beach Vacations ›
- New Zealand's Otherworldly Landscapes ›
- Adventures That Give Back ›
When the dog days of summer snarl every road leading to every beach, we have a suggestion: Get some altitude. After all, there are other places than the ocean for cooling off. August is the best month to seek out great mountain towns, which have finally cast aside their snowy comforters for crisp sheets of green trees with patterns of blue lakes and rivers. Whether you're a budding buckaroo or aspiring artist, music devotee or New Age wannabe, we've got a hilly hideaway for you. C'mon, embrace your inner Maria von Trapp before summer slips away.
Published August 2007For even more mountain retreats, see Sarah Tuff and Greg Melville's book, 101 Best Outdoor Towns: Unspoiled Places to Visit, Live & Play (Countryman Press, 2007).