Comeback Destinations for Experienced Travelers
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- The Last Wild Place ›
- 11 Hard-to-Get-to Hotels ›
- Last-Minute Escapes: Beach Vacations ›
- New Zealand's Otherworldly Landscapes ›
- Adventures That Give Back ›
- World's Sexiest Fitness Retreats ›
- How to Vacation Like Indiana Jones ›
- Extreme Sports for Spectators ›
- Choose Your Own Adventure ›
- Controversial Tourist Attractions ›
- Do-it-Yourself Olympic Winter Sports ›
A strange thing happens when a war-torn country emerges from its dark past. Optimism mingles with opportunism, education with exploitation, as investors and travelers set off a resurgence of tourism. For people who live there, it's a chance to rebuild their economy and connect to a curious and sympathetic world. For the experienced traveler, it's a chance to see amazing locations once closed to the outside. In this light, we've selected eight destinations (including Rwanda, Iraqi Kurdistan, and Kosovo) where reforms, reconstruction, and the passage of time have combined to create accessible and rewarding experiences for travelers.
Published April 2011; Pictured: School children visit the Noravank Monastery in Armenia.