Adventures That Give Back
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- The World's Best Hiking Trails ›
- The Last Wild Place ›
- 11 Hard-to-Get-to Hotels ›
- Last-Minute Escapes: Beach Vacations ›
- New Zealand's Otherworldly Landscapes ›
- World's Sexiest Fitness Retreats ›
- How to Vacation Like Indiana Jones ›
- Extreme Sports for Spectators ›
- Comeback Destinations for Experienced Travelers ›
- Choose Your Own Adventure ›
- Controversial Tourist Attractions ›
Think the old adage "It's better to give than receive" doesn't apply to your vacation? If one of your New Year's resolutions was to finally make a difference, we've mapped out seven trips that give back—all while getting your adrenaline pumping. Turns out that do-good vacations are actually some of the easiest (and cheapest) ways to find an off-the-beaten-path adventure like hiking the Himalayas, white-water rafting in Peru, or horseback riding in Turkey. You might just end up changing lives—yours included—and getting even more out of these journeys than you give. Plus, karma points make great souvenirs.
Published January 2012. Pictured: Horseback riding in Cappadocia, Turkey.