But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels with Great Food ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- 12 Stunning Asian Stupas ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
- The Most Colorful Cities ›
- The Platinum Circle ›
- Must-See Christmas Trees Around the World ›
- Top 270 Spas in the World ›
TURKISH BATHS, BUDAPEST
Naked truth: Some of the most famous historical sites in Budapest are most appropriately visited in the buff. After all, this is the land of the bathhouse. From classic, historical buildings like the Rudas Baths (built in the 1500s) to the Art Nouveau Gellert Baths to racier options like Király Baths, which host rave-style party nights, current options run the gamut. Most consist of a thermal pool, sauna, and steam bath so you can't really go wrong. Just one word of caution: Some bathhouses are unisex and others are mixed, so be sure you know which way your bathhouse swings before stepping in for a dip.
Bodies of evidence: We're not going to lie to you: The Rudas Baths won't be pretty. Think burly men toughened by an Iron Curtain past who sound like Borat—all naked as the day is long. Király, on the other hand, gets the young-and-pretty types.
Best reason to bring a towel: To cover your eyes. We're not kidding about the Borats.
Don't forget your: Dry clothes. If you're there anytime but summer, you'll be in for a chilly shock once you leave. Be sure to bundle up.