But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels with Great Food ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- 12 Stunning Asian Stupas ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
- The Most Colorful Cities ›
- The Platinum Circle ›
- Must-See Christmas Trees Around the World ›
BAY TO BREAKERS, SAN FRANCISCO
Naked truth: A 12K race through downtown San Francisco toward the ocean, Bay to Breakers has been held every May since 1912. This being Haight-Ashbury country, Bay to Breakers is part race, part gay pride event, part naked-from-the-Nikes-up parade. Though there are a handful of serious athletes in attendance, the Boston Marathon it is not.
Bodies of evidence: Technically, clothing is required and alcohol is forbidden, and there are many law-abiding Californians who are there to beat their personal record. But then again, many other participants take this opportunity to strip down and throw inflatable sex toys around their necks.
Best reason to bring a towel: The run will take you through the swankier section of town. If you lose your nerve, you can always pull over, wrap yourself in the towel, and pretend you got locked out of your spa appointment at the W.
Don't forget your: Your race number. Seriously. We don't care if you are wearing a fuchsia afro and nothing else, rules are rules.