24 hours at the Edinburgh Festival
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Subway Stations with Incredible Art ›
- World's Best Cities for Architecture Lovers ›
- 11 Mobile Shopping Boutiques ›
- Brooklyn, New York Guide to Shopping ›
- World's Best Bespoke Souvenirs ›
- Tiny Tourist Attractions ›
- Asia Undercover ›
- The World's Weirdest Museums ›
- 24 Hours in Shanghai ›
- The New Wonders of the World ›
August is the best month to visit Edinburgh, hands down. The weather is a bit warmer (honestly!), the bars and restaurants are jumping, and there's a party spirit in the air that can't be totally attributed to alcohol. This is the month the festivals come to town—three of them, to be precise—swelling the population with international art lovers of both the high- and lowbrow variety. In case you're planning to drop in—or just planning a trip another time of year—we've put together a 24-hour guide giving you the best place to stay (Italian fashion label Missoni's brand-new hotel, which we've just visited) and this year's hot tickets, from comedian Ricky Gervais's stand-up to a new work from edgy dancer and choreographer Michael Clark.
Published August 2009
For more on where to stay, eat, and party in Scotland's festival city, check out our complete Edinburgh travel guide.