What Not To Wear: Dress Codes Worldwide
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Subway Stations with Incredible Art ›
- World's Best Cities for Architecture Lovers ›
- 11 Mobile Shopping Boutiques ›
- Brooklyn, New York Guide to Shopping ›
- World's Best Bespoke Souvenirs ›
- Tiny Tourist Attractions ›
- Asia Undercover ›
- The World's Weirdest Museums ›
- 24 Hours in Shanghai ›
- The New Wonders of the World ›
At a meeting: In Dubai, women's pantsuits should be sheeny and glam; men's duds are buffed, black, and paired with slim ties.
On the street: The mall, not the street, is the social arena. In Dubai, girls in T-shirts (their shoulders covered out of respect and as a remedy against the freezing AC blasts) tote the latest Louis Vuittons. Carry a pashmina to cover up in case you find yourself in a traditional soukalthough you'll see miniskirts and shorts, they're for people who know the city well enough to avoid ultra-conservative quarters. On men, reflective aviators abound, as do Gucci sandals.
At a party: Go glam to the gills: No Swarovski is too shiny and no Giuseppe Zanotti is too high. Men wear Y3 trainers and tailored blazers over graphic tees.
P.S. Put on clean socks if you're going to a local's house in Dubaiyou'll leave your shoes at the door.