World's Best Bespoke Souvenirs
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Subway Stations with Incredible Art ›
- World's Best Cities for Architecture Lovers ›
- 11 Mobile Shopping Boutiques ›
- Brooklyn, New York Guide to Shopping ›
- Tiny Tourist Attractions ›
- Asia Undercover ›
- The World's Weirdest Museums ›
- 24 Hours in Shanghai ›
- The New Wonders of the World ›
- Ten Things Not to Do in San Francisco ›
In a world where even Kenyan kitenge cloth may actually be woven in India, the days of filling your suitcase with authentic souvenirs can seem like a distant memory. But that doesn't mean you have to come home from a trip empty-handed. From frilly unmentionables in Paris to Panama hats in Ecuador, custom-made creations can be the best way to bring home something that's both unique and genuinely from the place you're visiting. So we've found seven shops around the world where traditional local skills honed over centuries are still used to fashion beautiful bespoke wares. Sure, tailor-made mementos don't come cheap, but scoring a one-of-a-kind souvenir that reminds you of its origin yet fits perfectly into your life at home is priceless.
Published March 2011. Pictured: Casa Fagliano, Buenos Aires.