World's Sexiest Beaches 2006
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- The Best Cruise Ship Cabins ›
- Natural Swimming Holes Around the World ›
- The Best U.S. Beach Resorts ›
- Last-Minute Escapes: Beach Vacations ›
- 12 Hotels with Overwater Bungalows ›
- 29 Restaurants on 11 Caribbean Islands ›
- Ten Island Escapes from the Cold ›
- Unexplored Caribbean ›
- World's Sexiest Fitness Retreats ›
BONDI BEACH, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
Nowhere are beaches more beloved than Australia, and there's no more famous strip of sand Down Under than Bondi, just a short cab hop from downtown Sydney.
Rub suntanned elbows with: Buff Aussie surf boys (and girls) and toned nine-to-fivers who are already on the sands by three.
Best way to cool off: Hike up the hill to the private Icebergs swimming club, pay the nominal day membership, and order a pint of ice-cold Bluetongue lager. The views from the terrace are unbeatable—especially when the ocean waves crash right into the swimming pool.
Beach chic: The Speedo was invented in Sydney in 1956, so this is one place where you can slip into bright briefs—known locally as budgie smugglers—with pride.
Where to bed down: Bunk downtown in the converted wharf known as Blue; once a W Hotel, now under new owners, it's Sydney's current hotel hot spot (Russell Crowe has a condo in the same complex).
Blue, Woolloomooloo Bay
Tel: 61 2 9331 9000
Doubles from $423
Tel: 61 2 9130 3120
$3 per day