World's Sexiest Beaches 2008
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- The World's Best Hiking Trails ›
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Unexpected Spring Break Vacation Ideas ›
- The World's Most Beautiful Botanical Gardens ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- Top 10 Spas in the U.S. ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
Site:Lake Nyasa, Mozambique
Bring the heat: This is the interior of Africa, but looking over a sealike expanse of clear liquid blue, you wouldn't believe it. The ninth-largest freshwater lake in the world touches Mozambique, Tanzania, and Malawi (where it's called Lake Malawi). Gaudy beach tourism? Not a whisper of itremote, pristine, sublime.
Select sand: A clean white beach that squeaks as you walk along it, this is unlike any lakefront you'd recognize. And with waters so clear they cry out for snorkeling expeditions to see bright fish, it's unlike any lake you'll find in North America, either.
Hookup rating: Unless you count the leopards and elephants in the neighboring Manda Wilderness Preserve (your lodge will set up a safari), the only game you'll be stalking is the lovely creature sharing your chalet.
Privacy: 6.9. The lake is quiet, with just the occasional fisherman gliding by, and the Manda Nkwichi Lodge accommodates only 14 at a time. With the leopards about, however, it might be best not to wander into the woods alone.
Pillow talk: An eco-lodge that can only be reached by boat over the lake, Manda Nkwichi has seven modest cottages amid the trees. They have outside showers and hammocks, and the staff will set up private dinners on the shore.
Manda Nkwichi Lodge
Doubles $480 per person per night, including meals and some activities