World's Sexiest Beaches 2008
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- The World's Best Hiking Trails ›
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Unexpected Spring Break Vacation Ideas ›
- The World's Most Beautiful Botanical Gardens ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- Top 10 Spas in the U.S. ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
Bring the heat: Mexico has long been a haven for Americans looking to to escapefrom posses on horseback, from unpaid taxes, from the FBI, angry exes, or even oneself. But in Spring Break towns like Cancún, that mystique is as dead as Raymond Chandler. Not so in Baja's Loreto, 700 miles south of San Diego. It's still the kind of place where you might meet a mysterious brunette at a beachside watering hole who's happy to share her tequilabut not her last name.
Select sand: Even on the edge of town, the Sea of Cortez is a magical thing, soft and azure one moment, sparkly neon green the next. But to truly experience the isolation and grandeur of this as yet unadulterated area of Baja, hire a boat or pilot a kayak to Danzante, one of the small desert islands in the 800-square-mile Loreto Bay National Marine Park.
Hookup potential: While Loreto isn't anything like its hard-partying southern sister, Los Cabos, this is still Mexico. There's always trouble to be found if you know where to look.
Privacy rating: 9.7. The waters are calm, the locals aren't nosy, and a kayak will take you to many a dead-quiet cove.
Pillow talk: Since you're hiding out, best not stay in town. Rather, book an off-the-radar bolthole like Danzante Eco Resort, 25 miles south of Loreto. The nine simple rooms have views to Danzante Island and even free kayaks to get you there. And since there are no phones or Internet, nobody from the outside world will be able to track you down.
Tel: 408 354 0042
Doubles from $360, including meals