World's Sexiest Beaches 2008
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- The World's Best Hiking Trails ›
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Unexpected Spring Break Vacation Ideas ›
- The World's Most Beautiful Botanical Gardens ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- Top 10 Spas in the U.S. ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
Site:Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Bring the heat: Looking for heat, you say? Well, this is a volcanic island, after all, and despite Lanzarote's location 100 miles off the coast of Africa, it's Spanish (and the locals are, well, passionate). Much of the interior is made up of jagged lava fields, and the black sand beach pictured here is called El Golfo.
Select sand: If quiet splendor (and skin) is your thing, head south: Caleta del Congrio is a remote beach at the island's southern tip where fair young things are known to shed all their clothes. Choices abound, though: The island is ringed by some 90 white-, golden-, and black-sand beaches.
Hookup potential: You'll find a steady flow of tourists, from Spain and beyond, chasing a fun weekend in the sun. For those who like surfer types, make for the north of the island and the wild, four-mile-long Famara Beach, where board-lovers do their thing.
Privacy rating: 8.7. We already said it: 90 beaches.
Pillow talk: The influx of budget vacationers hurts the lodging around the island, but the Hesperia Lanzarote, which has sister hotels in Madrid and Bilbao, gets it right. Located in Puerto Calero, it has 46 suites and 289 standard rooms; four swimming pools; comfortable cabanas on the water; and a good, clean design that plays up the Mediterranean influence.
Tel: 34 828 080 800
Doubles from $194