World's Sexiest Beaches 2009
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- The Best Cruise Ship Cabins ›
- Natural Swimming Holes Around the World ›
- The Best U.S. Beach Resorts ›
- Last-Minute Escapes: Beach Vacations ›
- 12 Hotels with Overwater Bungalows ›
- 29 Restaurants on 11 Caribbean Islands ›
- Ten Island Escapes from the Cold ›
- Unexplored Caribbean ›
- World's Sexiest Fitness Retreats ›
The turn-on: Goa, a state on India's southwestern coast, has a long history of decadence, from the hash-fueled love-ins of the '60s to the backpacker beach raves of the '90s. And though the trance plays on in northern hubs like Anjuna, the real party has migrated downriver to jungle huts ringed by rice paddies and to beach hamlets like Arpora. After their photo shoots are over, models rent houseboats and party their way through inland waterways. And boldfaced-name celebs hit private bashes in mansions from Portuguese colonial times that now entertain rotating casts of global nomads.
Hot bodies: Goa's guest book reads like a who's who of the jet-setting creative class. Take one part legendary hotel designer (hello, Mr. Starck), throw in a Hollywood power couple (right this way, Brangelina) and a fashion icon (your table is ready, Mr. Armani), and garnish generously with Bollywood starlets. Just be sure to avoid the fake-dreadlocked hippie kids pill-popping their way through the beach parties.
Bed down: Plush mattresses sprawl under an indigo dome in the chill-out room of the exclusive Nilaya Hermitage. Sirens like Kate Moss and Jade Jagger bliss out in the steam baths before retiring to four-poster beds in luxe tents and converted villas.