Seaside Classics for a New Generation
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- The Best Cruise Ship Cabins ›
- Natural Swimming Holes Around the World ›
- The Best U.S. Beach Resorts ›
- Last-Minute Escapes: Beach Vacations ›
- 12 Hotels with Overwater Bungalows ›
- 29 Restaurants on 11 Caribbean Islands ›
- Ten Island Escapes from the Cold ›
- Unexplored Caribbean ›
- World's Sexiest Fitness Retreats ›
Walking down the boardwalk munching saltwater taffy. Riding your bike to that lobster shack in Maine. Waking up early to hit the surf breaks in Cali. The simple pleasures of a summer beach getaway will never go out of style. But a new crop of boutique hotels is tapping into that sun-and-sand nostalgia, breathing new (and stylish) life into old sea shacks, motor lodges, and guesthouses. The result is a retro revival that marries Gidget-chic charms with innovative restaurants, high-end amenities, and playful nightlife scenes. So you can have your snow cone and eat it, too.
Published August 2011. Pictured: Shorebreak Hotel, Huntington Beach.