Natural Swimming Holes Around the World
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- The World's Most Beautiful Botanical Gardens ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- The Best Cruise Ship Cabins ›
- The Last Wild Place ›
- The Best U.S. Beach Resorts ›
- Last-Minute Escapes: Beach Vacations ›
- New Zealand's Otherworldly Landscapes ›
Little River: Floyd, Virginia
Flowing through the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwest Virginia, Little River and its lush bankside canopy offer cool respite from the sultry southern sun. Floyd (population: 432) straddles Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail, the 300-mile stretch of Appalachia where bluegrass was born. Check into the eco-friendly Hotel Floyd, set amid the galleries and shops of the neo-bohemian main drag (540-745-6080; doubles from $80), before making your way to the Floyd Country Store for a pulled-pork sandwich with all the fixin’s. The unassuming space hosts bluegrass, blues, and country performances—including a popular Friday Night Jamboree where two dance bands whip the standing-room-only crowd into an absolute frenzy (206 S. Locust St.; entrées from $2). Afterward, return to Little River for a skinny-dip under the stars. Talk about deliverance.
Water Temperature this Month: 59º
What to Wear: Country casual: cutoff "jorts" (jean shorts) and a tank top.
You'll Share the Water with: All manner of trout (including brown, brook, and rainbow), as well as the occasional beaver.
Photograph by Justine Kurland