Best Winter Travel Deals
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- 10 Ways to Stretch Your Dollar in Europe ›
- Budget Hotels, Expensive Cities: New York City ›
- Where Cheaper is Better ›
- Hot New Hotels Under $250 a Night ›
- Best American Hotels Under $250 a Night ›
- World's Best Bargain Shopping ›
- Hot New Hotels Under $200 ›
- Affordable Caribbean Hotels ›
- Best Cruise Deals Around the World ›
- Real Travel Deals to Book Right Now ›
- Best Vacation Deals 2009 ›
VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA
Rule of thumb: On the flip side, if you can only travel on the weekend, look for the best rates at business hotels.
Why here?: Vancouver is already abuzz with preparations for the 2010 Winter Olympics. The city itself doesn't get much snow, but you can be on the slopes in 15 minutes.
Best bang for your buck: In nearly every major city, you can find business hotels that lower their rates as soon as their usual customers head home on Friday. Vancouver is a prime example: The Four Seasons (view slideshow) there charges $240 during the week, but you can stay on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night for only $190. And from now through March, if you stay two nights, you'll get the third free.
Bonus: American cities get in on the act, too. You'll find great weekend deals at the historic Hilton Checkers in downtown Los Angeles, with rooms for $279 (on average) during the week but $149 on the weekend. And in New York City, the Waldorf-Astoria has weekend rates from $299 in January ($359 during the week), and the Bryant Park Hotel is almost $100 cheaper on weekends ($289 versus $375).
Four Seasons Vancouver
Tel: 604 689 9333
Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Tel: 213 624 0000
Tel: 800 925 3673
Bryant Park Hotel
Tel: 877 640 9300