Where Cheaper is Better
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- 10 Ways to Stretch Your Dollar in Europe ›
- Budget Hotels, Expensive Cities: New York City ›
- Hot New Hotels Under $250 a Night ›
- Best American Hotels Under $250 a Night ›
- World's Best Bargain Shopping ›
- Hot New Hotels Under $200 ›
- Affordable Caribbean Hotels ›
- Best Cruise Deals Around the World ›
- Real Travel Deals to Book Right Now ›
- Best Vacation Deals 2009 ›
- Affordable Family Vacations ›
Vacations are made for splurging. After all, who wouldn't want to enjoy the highest thread count, the comfiest transport, the best foie gras during their hard-earned time off? But the best that money can buy doesn't always translate into the best travel experience. Sometimes big-ticket trips isolate you from the food, the cultural interactions, and the local flavor that makes travel meaningful. So we've put together a guide to the places where less buys you more. Whether it's forgoing splashy international chains for quirky little beach bungalows in Thailand or trading over-the-top Moscow restaurants for offbeat eats, sometimes cheaper really is better.
Published May 2011. Pictured: Bophut Beach in Koh Samui.