Winter Comfort Food
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- The Best New Hotels with Great Food ›
- The Most Delicious Macarons in the World ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- 5 Great Inns for Foodies ›
- Buenos Aires Eats ›
- Madrid's Best Restaurants and Bars ›
- Go Irish in Boston ›
- Austin's Best Restaurants, Bars & Shops ›
- 29 Restaurants on 11 Caribbean Islands ›
- Alternative Wine Trails ›
- World's Best Farm Hotels ›
Life is hard in the winter. Food shouldn't be. In this season, we sun-starved, shivering sufferers need food that is not exotic or adventurous, or even clever. We want something warm and friendly. Every region in America has its own comfort-food specialties, from the stalwart hot puddings of New England to the creamy chowders of the Pacific Northwest. Still, the classics like macaroni and cheese, meat loaf with gravy, and chicken pie translate universally. Here are a bellyful of opportunities around the country to vanquish cold-weather blues with a plate of warmth.
Warning and disclaimer: The reading of this article may result in ravenous hunger pangs, and could result in your driving hundreds of miles out of your way to indulge in mac 'n' cheese or creamy chowder. Any such results are purely intentional.
Published March 2007
To read more about Jane and Michael Stern's favorite spots to eat, visit roadfood.com.