But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- The World's Most Beautiful Botanical Gardens ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- The Last Wild Place ›
- Natural Swimming Holes Around the World ›
- New Zealand's Otherworldly Landscapes ›
- Where the Weather's Always Perfect ›
- Unexplored Caribbean ›
- Far Away, Close to Home: Remote U.S. Resorts ›
- The World's Most Leisurely Vacations ›
- Escape from New York ›
Solar-panel skyscrapers, rooftop gardens, towering wind turbines—the green future is here, and it's all about going vertical. In progressive cities around the world, sci-fi visions of a future populated by shiny high-rise buildings where plants grow far above the soil turn out to be not so far-fetched. Indeed, from Singapore to Chicago, the smart money is on reducing sprawl, harnessing the wind and sun, and greening the urban atmosphere. And like locals, smart travelers are making the most of the high quality of life that comes with eco-friendly improvements such as gorgeous city parks and gardens, organic restaurants and microbreweries, and stunning new architecture. So say good-bye to your car, jump on a speedy tram or bike, and get ready to see green cities in a whole new way.
Published September 2011. Pictured: Portland, Oregon.