Creepy Road Trips
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Unexpected Spring Break Vacation Ideas ›
- Must-See Christmas Trees Around the World ›
- 'Tis the Season ›
- Holiday Gift Guide ›
- Real-Life Holiday Movie Locations ›
- Winter Wonderlands ›
- 2011 Holiday Travel Gift Guide ›
- The World's Best Places for Sin ›
- Abandoned Places: Ghosts of Vacations Past ›
- Romantic Travel Done Right ›
- Holiday Gift Guide 2009 ›
Mist rolls across the road. Trees groan in the wind. The clock on the dashboard reads midnight. You check the rearview mirror once, twice, praying the car holds up on this desolate stretch of pavement. Welcome to the dark side of the road trip.
We've mapped out the continent's creepiest crawls, and around the next bend is the ominous solitude of the desert, the dark mysteries of the bayou, and an apocalyptic wasteland of abandoned resorts. Buckle your seatbelt and lock your doors: It's going to be a terrifying ride.
Published October 2011. Pictured: Greenwood Cemetery, New Orleans.