Best Places to Get Naked
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels with Great Food ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- 12 Stunning Asian Stupas ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
- The Most Colorful Cities ›
- The Platinum Circle ›
- Must-See Christmas Trees Around the World ›
Naked truth: Volcanically active Japan has thousands of natural hot springs traditionally enjoyed au naturel. One Osaka onsen has taken that concept to the extreme, creating an over-the-top, around-the-naked-world-in-eight-floors theme park. The complex is divided into themes by countryFinland, Greece, Spain, France, Ancient Rome, and so on. You'll soak amid a replica of the Trevi Fountain, in a hammam-meets-Disney stone bath, and over an Atlantis-themed tank full of tropical fish. Naturally, all baths and body soaks are done in the nude, butbummer alertmen and women are confined to separate floors. On the bright side, you're given pj's to wear when you walk around the common areaspink for girls, blue for boys.
Bodies of evidence: Despite its name, SpaWorld is favored by locals—and it's popular. Expect to be hanging with lots and lots of naked Japanese people.
Best reason to bring a towel: The ones they supply are meant for locals. Hearty Americans may find the in-house towels only cover one cheek.
Don't forget your: Japanese-English dictionary. This will be especially useful for translating the following: "Pardon me. I'm straight, but may I join your all-male naked pool party?"