Best Places to Get Naked
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels with Great Food ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- 12 Stunning Asian Stupas ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
- The Most Colorful Cities ›
- The Platinum Circle ›
- Must-See Christmas Trees Around the World ›
BURNING MAN, NEVADA
Naked truth: Some would argue that it was the Silicon Valley crowd that put Burning Man on the map—because it was a way to see their colleagues naked. (And yes, we realize that "colleagues" and "naked" never belong in the same sentence.) However, the idea took off, and the annual weeklong art festival in northern Nevada's Black Rock Desert has become a must for those who like to party in the nude. The point, though maddeningly vague, is self-expression and self-reliance with a heavy emphasis on artwork and revelry (that's your clue right there). After days of fiery displays, the event culminates in setting aflame a giant structure shaped like a man, proving the age-old adage that some bodies are just too hot to handle.
Bodies of evidence: You name it. Last year almost 50,000 people came to Burning Man—each in various stages of dress, undress, and conflagration.
Best reason to bring a towel: You're in the desert and it's hot. Take off your clothes and throw the towel over your head for mobile shade.
Don't forget your: ATM card. Once all that self-reliance has melted away, you might notice you're not that far from Vegas.