Photos from the Road
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels with Great Food ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- 12 Stunning Asian Stupas ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
- The Most Colorful Cities ›
- The Platinum Circle ›
- Must-See Christmas Trees Around the World ›
This year's Condé Nast Traveler Dream Trip Contest has attracted more than 7,500 entries so far, ranging from the spectacular to the hilarious. Paging through thousands of fantastic travel moments, we couldn't help but notice a compelling trend. Some of the most remarkable contest entries so far have focused on the most basic, powerful symbol of travel there is: The road.
Whether it's a forgotten byway or a bustling city street, the proverbial "road less traveled by" or a road so well traveled that every step offers a microcosm of a culture, beckoning byways have always inspired the imagination and creativity of dedicated travelers. So it should come as no surprise that so many of our readers chose to capture a moment's pause between point A and point B. The greatest trips lead you down unexpected paths, and if you're lucky, you've got your camera with you.
Check out some of our favorite images and stories* from roads that traverse the globe, and don't forget to enter your own travel moment in the contest: You could win a $25,000 trip to anywhere on Earth. Who knows where the road will lead you?
* This collection of entries has nothing to do with the judges' final selections for the Dream Trip 2009 contest prizes. These are just pictures and essays that struck our fancy, and that we wanted to share with the Concierge.com community.
Published in June 2009