World's Best Places to Gamble
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels with Great Food ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- 12 Stunning Asian Stupas ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
- The Most Colorful Cities ›
- The Platinum Circle ›
- Must-See Christmas Trees Around the World ›
Game on: Less than an hour's flight from Florida, you'll find sun, sand, and seven acres of gaming at the Atlantis resort on Paradise Island. Every January, the biggest casino in the Caribbean hosts the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure, the largest poker tournament outside of the World Series of Poker. It is a fascinating event, not least for the sight of thousands of sunlight-starved poker players laying bets on who will get a sunburn first. The $100,000 buy-in Super High Roller event attracts the Phil Laaks, Daniel Negreanus, and Bertrand Grospelliers of the poker stratosphere, but the $10,300 buy-in Main Event is the focus for tournament regulars. For sideline poker fans, there are sports and race books, hundreds of slots, and 90 table games, including Caribbean stud poker, a five-card stud variation played against the dealer that requires neither bluffing nor cunning.
Inside bet: At the Cove Atlantis, you can hit up some blackjack at the adults-only poolside gaming pavilion. And if you bust out early, well, the beach in the Bahamas isn't the worst place to console yourself.