Escape from New York
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- The World's Most Beautiful Botanical Gardens ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- The Last Wild Place ›
- Natural Swimming Holes Around the World ›
- New Zealand's Otherworldly Landscapes ›
- Where the Weather's Always Perfect ›
- Unexplored Caribbean ›
- Green Cities ›
- Far Away, Close to Home: Remote U.S. Resorts ›
We love you, New York City. Really, we do. But we have needs—needs for open space, expanses of green, a bit of alone time. And so, it's time to see other places. Whether you're a lifelong New Yorker or a first-time visitor, there's nothing like pounding the pavement in a skyscraper's shadow on what should be a sunny summer's day to end your love affair with the world's greatest metropolis. That's why we've sought out seven oases—all within about an hour's travel (by foot, bike, subway, car, boat, train, or plane)—that feel worlds away from Manhattan. From an island with a fishing village vibe to a small country town where you'll need to trade your high heels for hiking boots, these seven quick, easy trips will leave you refreshed, recharged, and ready to fall in love with the city all over again.
Published May 2010.