Far Away, Close to Home: Remote U.S. Resorts
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- The World's Most Beautiful Botanical Gardens ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- The Last Wild Place ›
- Natural Swimming Holes Around the World ›
- New Zealand's Otherworldly Landscapes ›
- Where the Weather's Always Perfect ›
- Unexplored Caribbean ›
- Green Cities ›
- The World's Most Leisurely Vacations ›
- Escape from New York ›
You need to get away—from the noise, the daily grind, and the city grime. But getting to that place of serenity needn't involve long-haul flights, days of trekking, or roughing it once you arrive. We've searched high and low and found remote destinations right here in the United States. From a former ghost town in the Colorado mountains to a swank oasis in Death Valley, here are seven lodges that will give you that faraway feeling without jet lag. And at the end of the trip, you can easily go home again. That is, if you want to.
Published June 2011. Pictured: Dunton Hot Springs, Colorado.