World's Most Romantic Restaurants
But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- The Best New Hotels with Great Food ›
- The Most Delicious Macarons in the World ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
- 5 Great Inns for Foodies ›
- Buenos Aires Eats ›
- Madrid's Best Restaurants and Bars ›
- Go Irish in Boston ›
- Austin's Best Restaurants, Bars & Shops ›
- 29 Restaurants on 11 Caribbean Islands ›
- Alternative Wine Trails ›
Where: Wheatleigh, Lenox, Massachusetts
Why Go: You want to experience the gilded life at this 19th-century mansion-turned-hotel, whose palazzo stylings (grand columns, urbane gardens, sweeping mountain views) and European staff seem more suited to the Loire Valley or Tuscany than the bosky Berkshires.
A Side of Atmosphere: Inside, changeable mountain light streams through large windows, and the eclectic, contemporary-leaning decor has an understated grace. Everything is well considered—from the vaulted plaster ceilings to the creamy carpets—without being fussy.
Appetite for Seduction: The carefully choreographed tasting menu changes each night and might incorporate King Salmon sashimi, locally sourced lamb, and Canadian foie gras topped with wine gelée and savory marmalade. Compared to similar sit-downs in Manhattan, the $155 price tag seems downright reasonable.
The Hot Seat: Try for window tables 35 or 45 in the restaurant's portico room, a former outdoor courtyard where massive glass panels have been ingeniously fitted between bronze columns.
Tel: 413 637 0610