But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- The World's Best Hiking Trails ›
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Unexpected Spring Break Vacation Ideas ›
- The World's Most Beautiful Botanical Gardens ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- Top 10 Spas in the U.S. ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
Bring the heat: Do you daydream of the old world Mediterranean? The ancient architecture, the sagas of wars over beautiful women, the togas? Look and you'll find it in southwest Turkey, rife with historic seaside towns and Roman ruins along the sea. Imagine the private recreations: "You, Venus; me, Adonis."
Select sand: A crumbling amphitheater, tombs, a Roman temple, and, yes, one helluva nice beach. Archeologists have made a rich historical find at Patara, not far from the town of Kaş. The other upshot, other than being able to explore the ruins on your own, is that the beautiful, 10-mile-long Patara Beach is protected from development.
Hookup potential: Kaş is like a much smaller version of Antalya, a former seaside village that draws crowds of Turkish tourists. And you'll soon find that this bunch loves to party.
Privacy rating: 3 out of 10. This part of the world has been well populated for many thousands of years.
Pillow talk: With a vista toward the Greek island of Meis, the hillside Villa Hotel Tamara has three terraced platforms, two of which have pools (one filled with saltwater). The third terrace is almost level with the sea, so you can dive right in. Suites have French doors that open onto glass-enclosed balconies and hot tubs.
Villa Hotel Tamara
Tel: 90 242 836 2112
Doubles from $154