But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- The World's Best Hiking Trails ›
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Unexpected Spring Break Vacation Ideas ›
- The World's Most Beautiful Botanical Gardens ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- Top 10 Spas in the U.S. ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
Site:Fire Island, New York
Bring the heat: If the Hamptons can feel stuffy or elitist, 31-mile-long Fire Island, along Long Island's south coast, is the friendlier, easygoing alternative. Each stretch of beach attracts its own demographicFire Island Pines, the gay crowd; Ocean Beach, the young professionalsbut instead of long lines at nightclubs, it's all about house parties. Drinks in the hot tub, anyone?
Select sand: Which demographic are you looking for? Both Ocean Beach and the Pines see some very outré goings-on along the surfand it's easy to take the action back to the rental house. For a wide, classic East Coast beach that attracts all kinds, the five-mile stretch in Robert Moses State Park is a good bet.
Hookup rating: You're single? Why, so is Jake. And Sally. And seven other people in the house. See you in the hot tub?
Privacy: 0. The other people in the house will know everything by morning.
Pillow talk: This is a house-rental world. You can book a week at a time, or for the entire summer. A good place to start is to take a look at FireIsland.com or a directory such as vacationrentals.com, which allows you to contact the owners directly.
Two-bedroom cottages from $1,000 per week