But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- The World's Best Hiking Trails ›
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Unexpected Spring Break Vacation Ideas ›
- The World's Most Beautiful Botanical Gardens ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- Top 10 Spas in the U.S. ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
Site:Pemba Island, Tanzania
Bring the heat: There are places to get away, and there are faraway places. Take Pemba Island: You'll know you're off the tourist route when you finally reach Zanzibar, in East Africaand you've got another flight to go. When you and your lover fantasize about chucking it all (the jobs, the stress, the kids ) and living off the grid in a remote land, this Spice Island is the place you're dreaming of.
Select sand: They simply call them the sandbanks: the beaches that are reborn when the iridescent waters slide back with the tide. These strings of white-sand pathways make for ideal strolls or launching points for snorkeling.
Hookup potential: It's an insular community with very few travelers. Plan ahead and travel with someone you really like.
Privacy rating: 3, on the island itself. (You don't want to scandalize the locals.) Charter your property's traditional dhow to whisk you to uninhabited Misali Island to achieve the perfect 10.
Pillow talk: Tourist infrastructure is scant, so the Brit-owned Fundu Lagoon (pictured) comes as a bit of a shock. The infinity pool is the tip-off to the luxury on offer here, as are the thatched superior suites that sit on the beach and come with two private terraces and a plunge pool.
Tel: 255 76 35 92 820
Doubles from $740, including dhow sunset cruise and all food and drink