But WaitThere's More
Find other great ideas in these related stories:
- The World's Best Hiking Trails ›
- Eerily Beautiful Abandoned Places ›
- Car-Free Destinations for Your Big Summer Trip ›
- The Best New Hotels of 2013 ›
- Go Bananas for Asia's Adorable Monkeys ›
- Top Islands in the World ›
- Unexpected Spring Break Vacation Ideas ›
- The World's Most Beautiful Botanical Gardens ›
- Gorgeous Vineyards Across the Globe ›
- Top 10 Spas in the U.S. ›
- Romantic Travel Spots Off the Beaten Path ›
Bring the heat: Oahu gets its share of loud shirtwearing tourists, but it's surprising how few venture around the entire island, choosing instead to nurse fruity drinks in Waikiki. Which leaves the North Shore and nearby beaches to the hot surfer boys and girls and superfit locals. And you're free to mix it up with them.
Select sand: In winter, the North Shore's Sunset Beach is legendarily sexyhave you ever seen so many hard bodies toting around their surfboards? Great ogling, but you don't want to get in that pounding surf yourself. A short drive away is Kailua Beach, a sweet arc of sand where the pretty girls and sporty guys from the moneyed enclave of Kailua like to body-board.
Hookup potential: Score! Oahu is a no-shirt, no-shoes, no-problem island. Mix in all the athletic types who travel here for the swells, the young military people stationed here, and the happy-go-lucky locals, and you get sparks.
Privacy: 2. Sorry, bud, it's a small island, and the locals have claimed the most secluded bits as their own.
Pillow talk: Turtle Bay is right at the North Shoreand after a long evening hanging out at the house where all the surfers live, you won't want to drive all the way south to one of the big resorts. If possible, book one of the 42 cottages, which have more personality than the 400-plus rooms.
Turtle Bay Resort
Tel: 800 203 3650 (toll-free)
Tel: 808 293 6000
Doubles from $340; cottages from $703