Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Bangkok Not So Bewildering

By rickinthekitchen

Posted on: October 01, 2008 at 12:00AM

There's a lot of hype out there about Bangkok and how to get around and you will find yourself in the midst of it all as soon as you collect your luggage at the airport and begin to be bombarded with offers of transport services to your hotel in Bangkok and beyond. My advice to you (I have been there seven times in the past two years) is to decline your hotel's offer of transport, unless it is free or you want to pay about three times what you should, walk straight faced past all the screaming offers inside the airport, and follow the signs for "public taxi" to the outside of the airport. There you will find a desk manned by some very polite and speedy people. Tell them your hotel name, they will quote you a price, write the information for your driver and you will be on your way. If you want to arrive at your hotel quickly your driver may ask you if you want to take the toll road. He may require an extra 60 Thai Baht for this to pay the fares. Nearly anywhere in bangkok will cost you between four and five hundred Thai Baht, or roughly $15.00 US, since the trip usually takes thirty minutes or better. At busy times during the day you way have to wait for traffic for considerable time, so tip a little to compensate for this. You will be surprised at the kindness and patience of the Thai people. They work hard for what little money they receive and remember, a taxi ride this far anywhere in the US would cost much more! Most often the taxi meter will not be running since the proce was agreed upon prior. If you insist on the meter (as some books will tell you to do), the drivers will likely find a reason to inflate the price a little when you arive at your destination. It isn't worth the hassle to save a buck or two. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Bangkok Not So Bewildering

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions