Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

The real thai shopping experience

By lutravel

Posted on: October 01, 2008 at 2:30PM

If you want to experience the real thai shopping you must go to Jatujak or JJ Market in Bangkok. It happens every week from friday to sunday. There you can find everything from home and patio deco and furniture to clothes, accessories, food and much more! Sellers from all over the country. The place is huge so don't forget to take the map at the entrance of the market. Then you can do by sections in different days , as is impossible to check out the whole market in one day only. Last thing: don't forget to bargain for everything you buy! Start at less then half of the price they are asking you and go from there.If they don't give you a good deal, walk away...they'll chase you back! have fun and enjoy the experience and the people, they are wonderful! report a problem

Posted on: October 01, 2008 at 11:54PM

Well, yes and no. I agree it is an experience, but if you have spent as much time in bangkok as I have you will learn that most everything you see in this overcrowded heap of run-down tin shacks at Jatujak is available on the streets of Bangkok at the same price or better. On a steamy day in Bangkok the last place you want to be is in a mix of thousands of people trying to push your way through narrow passages in buildings with no air circulation. The map is a great idea because you will get lost. Most people don't know what they are in for because this pace is bigger than most shopping malls with areas designated by numbers hanging from above according to the type of merchandise being sold at that area. There is no place to try anything on if you are shopping for clothing, and REMEMBER, the Thai people are much smaller than most travelers and the sizes are always a problem. They will tell you it will fit to make a sale, but keep a good eye on your true size and take the item out of the package if it is on one to judge better. I am a muscular man with a 44" chest and could not find one shirt that would fit all day, even though I was told they were XL sizes. That goes for women too. If you are going to ship something home, go to a shipping vendor and ask prices before you buy the item. It can be quite expensive to ship something home, even at the cheapest rate and it can take months to arrive. That being said; go for the experience, but just know that you will likely see the same items elsewhere in Bangkok as well. A more comfortable place to shop that I would suggest is the Night Bazaar. The subway takes you right there, the sun is down, it is less crowded, and is is open every night.

You are posting a reply to The real thai shopping experience

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions