Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Safety in Barcelona

By Guest

Posted on: August 20, 2009 at 9:20PM

Barcelona was THE worst city for pickpockets. When you are warned about them, take it seriously.People there do this every day for a living. They kiss their kids and spouses goodbye in the morning and go rob unsuspecting tourists!! They were everywhere from churches to the train station.Male/Female. Old /Young.Wear an under clothing money belt. Carry copies of your passport. Leave the original locked up at your hotel. Don't flash your money. Carry a small amount of money in your pocket or in a small purse under your sweater or coat that you can get to easily for small purchases. Carry your camera around your neck and under your clothes, too. Do not carry anything in a backpack that would ruin your trip if you lost it. Be aware of your surroundings. They seem worse in crowds and when you are distracted. Spring for a cab from the airport!! It makes no sense to be penny wise and pound foolish. The train station was one of the worst places to be attacked and I mean that literally. Here you are loaded w/too many heavy suitcases, unfamiliar w/the routine and language, not to mention jet lagged out of your mind. Practically helpless from the several pickpockets that may swarm you and steal everything of value.This happened to a woman I know and no one came to her aid when she screamed for help.She wanted to save money by taking the train to the cruise terminal.She lost everything, including her passport and cruise documents. And the first two days of the cruise. As bad as the above may sound...GO to Barcelona, but use your head! It is a very walkable and an incredibly beautiful city w/tons of wonderul things to see and experience. MG report a problem

Posted on: January 02, 2012 at 4:22AM

Stayed in the 4 star very nice Hotel Espana (which we didnt realise was too close for comfort to the "Ravals " for New Year celebrations in Barcelona,fabulous sights and architecture but we return "bruised" by the attentions of theives and muggers. Took all precautions as advised but a couple of lapses of concentration and "bang" they strike. Female in party took off scarf,out pops a hand and rips off her necklace,treasured item gone for ever! Youth tried to force my male companion to the ground by putting his leg across him,dont retaliate we are told but the friend grabbed his leg and turned the tables,the would be theif limped off.In hindsight this was a natural reaction but very dangerous,he could have had a knife,we got lucky. The ladies were also spat at by some mixed up individual. Again love the City,used the bus tours which are great for opping on and off. Possibly the scariest City in places I have been to in 64 years.

You are posting a reply to Safety in Barcelona

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions