Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

La Pedrera, love it or hate it you can't ignore it.

By Guest

Posted on: April 27, 2010 at 5:54PM

Casa Milà' known as La Pedrera or the stone quarry because of the way it looks. This was the last building Gaudi worked on before he devoted all his time to Sagrada Familia. Built as rental flats for Pere Milà Camps it is now the property of Caxia de Catalunya. There is an exhibition of Gaudi and his works on the upper floors but sadly we had no time to see it. Some of the flats are now privately owned. How wonderful it must be to own and live in such a magnificent building. We walked from Sagrada Familia down Carrer Provença to the corner of Passeig de Gràcia. Before long we were looking up at this astonishing building with its undulating pale stone façade contrasting with the strange dark wrought iron balconies. When it was built there was much controversy and Gaudi had many run-ins with the planning office. I really feel it is a thing of beauty though and well worth our long walk. Just around the corner we found a lovely little café called Farggi Tubs & Ice Cream. There were tables with umbrellas on the street and a great view of La Pedrara. We sat, grateful to be off our feet after a day spent walking to all the Gaudi buildings in Barcelona and looked at the menu. What a choice and all so mouth watering it was hard to decide. The waiters were wonderful, very friendly, they spoke perfect English and our coffee arrived very quickly. Next to us an Australian lady, hearing us speak asked where we came from. Like us, she only had two days in Barcelona and had taken the Tourist bus. She said it was a great way to see all the sights in a short time. I rubbed my throbbing feet and wished I’d thought of that at the beginning of the day. report a problem

You are posting a reply to La Pedrera, love it or hate it you can't ignore it.

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions