Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Is your suitcase too full to pack those souvenirs?

By bluebiscuitboy

Posted on: October 03, 2008 at 2:37AM

On a trip to Rio de Janeiro, I was planning on bringing back special souvenirs to friends, family, and for myself. I wanted to get things that were unique to the area, not just your typical tacky souvenirs. And, in deciding this, I wanted to make sure that I had plenty of room to pack them in my suitcase and get them home undamaged. So, I decided that some of the clothes that I would bring on the trip to wear would be some older, worn out clothing items that were ready for the trash...things like thin, worn t-shirts, underwear, socks with holes, etc that I have continued to wear but never taken the time to throw out. So, after wearing those items on the trip, they were thrown in the trash. This made my dresser drawers at home lighter and my suitcase roomier at the end of my trip and allowed for those great souvenirs like the hand-painted glass and wooden lamps, the handmade wizard marionette and the handcarved jewelry box that I broght back. And, I am happy to say that they all arrived in perfect condition! The key is to bring only about one third of your clothing items that will be discarded. You don't want to throw nearly everything away. Why? One, you want to have some nice clothes to go out on the town or to wear to that nice restaurant at which you intend on eating. And, two, you can use your remaining clothes to wrap your new wares for protection. You can even, perhaps, obtain old newspapers from the hotel lobby or staff or even use the worn out travel guides you no longer need because you are leaving. Whatever you use, pack them well for that treacherous abuse your luggage endures by the airline staff on the way home. This trick works well, especially, traveling out of the country because you always end up overpacking and never seem to have the room for those great gifts. Happy Shopping!!!! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Is your suitcase too full to pack those souvenirs?

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions