Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›

By ericka1118

Posted on: November 05, 2008 at 10:48PM

Recently I went to the Napa region for the second time. This time I was finally over 21 and took full advantage of it. Despite the bad economy and the prices of alcohol, the trip ended up not being too expensive. Whether it's a week-long trip, or just a single day outing, there is a little bit of something for the wannabe wine connoisseur in all of us. I only took a day trip, so this is what I have to most information about. My friend and I decided to first go to Charbay, which is run by the Karakashevic family. They are 13th and 14th generation vodka distillers from Yugoslavia. Be sure to make an appointment ahead of time through www.charbay.com. You won't be able to sample the vodka, but they offer tours and wine tasting. The tasting fee is waived with a purchase of alcohol. Be sure to do a bit of research before you go, because if you can come during open house season there are plenty of wineries offering not only free wine, but great food and keepsake glasses to accompany their drinks. And who says there's no such thing as a free lunch?! In the town of Helena you can purchase the famous Charbay vodka at the local grocery store. They carry several varieties of Charbay drinks and many flavors of vodka. The prices aren't much different than if you had been able to purchase the hard alcohol directly from the distillery. In this town there are plenty of wineries and distilleries, but I recommend Grgich hills. They offer fine Croatian wines in whites and reds. Their Fume Blanc has a slightly citrus aftertaste comparable to a grapefruit! It's not about quantity, it's about quality. Don't simply come here with the idea to get drunk. Most places strictly follow the rule of allowing not more then 5oz of alcohol per taste session; however, they won't stop you from buying your own bottle of alcohol from them. report a problem

You are posting a reply to August in Napa

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions