Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Tongli Water Village

By gariputo97

Posted on: October 07, 2008 at 12:37PM

If you are in Shanghai and looking for a peaceful 1-day getaway from the hustle of the city, consider hiring a car/guide or taking a bus to Tongli, a small but well-preserved water village in Suzhou. Tongli was built during the Song dynasty over 1,000 years ago on seven islets and features 15 canals and 50 bridges. It is like Venice of the east, minus the pigeons and crowds. Other water villages nearby such as Zhouzhuang have become commercialized in recent years, but Tongli has maintained its charm. The village was so tranquil that for the first time during my trip to China, I was able to hear nothing other than the birds and the rowing of my wooden boat. Sit down at one of the many small teashops and enjoy the wonderful travel back in time. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Tongli Water Village

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions