Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Portovenere - kissed by the gods

By luvtravel

Posted on: August 24, 2009 at 3:13PM

Walk through the Portovenere gateway built by the Romans in 1113 a.d. to the cobblestone pedestrian upper path and continue about half way through the town, passing shops featuring Italian goods of all types and gelati stands, and you arrive (in about 5 minutes if you donít stop to buy anything, hours later otherwise) at a little fountain next to the restaurant Medusa. Here, for 2 nights in a row, I enjoyed a superb wine - a vermentino from a local producer. The Cinque Terre (literally, 5 Towns, on the Northern Mediterranean coast of Italy) produces only 40,000 bottles of wine each year, hence they are prized ... especially by me. This wine is best enjoyed with seafood ... may I recommend the mussels. I admit, itís much better to drink it while looking at the Mediterranean. I think the reason the wine is best with seafood, is that the wine-producing vines on these steep hillsides are kissed by the mist from the sea until harvested. You can walk along the harbor of Portovenere and watch while the boats bring in the fresh catch that will be your dinner that evening. Portovenere is a wonderful location to stay while you visit the CT. You have access to a boat that goes to the 5 towns, while still being just a short drive from a major rail station in LaSpezia. Our room at the Hotel PortoVenere had a huge veranda that overlooks the small beach near the old town gate, where local children splash. It had 2 bedrooms and a shared bath, which was perfect for two travelers who, until that day, had not met each other. (The friend we had in common, cancelled at the last minute, but the gods granted us a wonderful friendship which we will always treasure.) And you will love Portovenere too ... the Southern gateway to the Cinque Terre. Piacere (enjoy)!!! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Portovenere - kissed by the gods

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions