Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Be aware of the people near you and your family...

By Guest

Posted on: October 16, 2008 at 9:43AM

Recently while I was in Nice, France,... early in the morning about 9 AM I was sitting near the Sea with my back facing the water. I was waiting on the rest of my tour group to go to breakfast. Out of no where came 5 young girls between the age of 11 and 5 years old. I stood up briefly as I was in my "fanny pack" getting some gum, however it was also where I kept my money and passport and room key. I was staying in the Hotel Negresco. All of a sudden these 5 girls were pushing a foreign newspaper into my abdomen area and the oldest 4 girls were shouting at me in a foreign langage that I did not understand. Luckily for me the gentleman seated next to me to my left said to me that the youngest little girl (about 5 years of age) was digging into my yet still open "fanny pack". I pushed these girls back from me and immediately they began swearing at me saying a word that I clearly knew, which was vulgar. These girls were Gitano girls from another country and they were after my American passport. Their guardian would have gotten the equivalent of $10,000 for this American Passport, and we would have needed to interrupt our travels to return to Paris for about one week to the American Embassy to obtain another Passport. As we had just spent one week in Paris that would have destroyed my month long vacation that we had planned. I did chase down these girls and helped avoid others from being ripped off. When I caught the 2 oldest I took them to the police station, where I was told that they were minors (which I already knew) and that they would be released. I, on the other hand, was warned by the police not to do what I had done. As I was told that these girls had a guardian watching the over them, and He knew me from diverting his working girls from several hours of earning him big bucks. The police told me to be aware of any man approaching me as he may have been seeking retaliation. This scared me alittle bit, but did not interfere with the rest of my time in Nice, France. Travelers, I tell you this story not to scare you, but rather to be aware of what is going on around you at all times, especially when traveling to a foreign country. Otherwise, enjoy the world and all of it's beauty!!!! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Be aware of the people near you and your family...

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions