Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Egypt ....An Ancient Country

By Guest

Posted on: September 30, 2008 at 8:05PM

Egypt is ancient, and beautiful beyond belief!! However, while touring the many temples and ruins....the "facilities" are also...beyond belief. I found a wonderful little item that makes these stops a bit more bearable. Charmin makes a handy "coreless" toilet paper roll in its own plastic dispenser. As a female, not having the basic necessities, like toilet paper,when needed is frustrating. This handy little item fits easily into a purse or backpack. . report a problem

Posted on: October 22, 2008 at 6:23PM

Egypt is awesome! I might suggest that if you are planning a trip---always hire a personal guide to get you through the bazaars, camel rides, etc. Your hotel concierge can arrrange a guide for you. It's the only way to travel. Enjoy!

Posted on: October 08, 2008 at 9:15PM

Egypt is an amazing and diverse county. If you are accustomed to the US, however, two tips should be taken to mind. First- carry a pack of tissues if you mind the lack of toilet paper in most non-tourist-centered facilities. In Egypt they use bidet-type water hoses in the restroom. It is extremely sanitary, but not to some people's liking. Secondly- Egypt it HOT. Especially in the summer, it can get nearly unbearable. BUT if you pull on your short shorts, tank top, and flip flops, not only will you be pegged as a tourist and cheated out of reasonable prices, but you will be stared at. Many people at the Cairo Museum and the pyramids show up in such skimpy Western garb, but actually a light loose shirt is more cooling and will get you more respect in the streets. Egyptians tend to subscribe to a more conservative level of modesty as far as clothing goes, and in more covering clothing [think covering the shoulders to the knees], not only will you feel more comfortable but you will appear more culturally sensitive. Egypt is an amazing country to tour with some of the kindest people in the world, but these two tips are probably the best choice for staying comfortable far away from home.

Posted on: October 02, 2008 at 5:08AM

Went to Egypt Nov. 2007. It was incredible eye candy and it was also one of the dirtiest places I've been. Do not try to get around without being on a tour. It is so much easier to have a guide with you, there. Food is iffy except in a few of the finer hotels. If you can avoid it, stay off the train to Luxor. We had a first class private room aboard the train and it was nasty. Slept on bunks and ate some kind of meat? for dinner. Bring lots of antibacterial wipes for everything you touch. Cairo is so heavy with smog that you won't believe it. With all that said, IT WAS MY BEST VACATION TO DATE.

You are posting a reply to Egypt ....An Ancient Country

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions