Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Learning London Leisurely

By Guest

Posted on: October 12, 2008 at 5:47PM

Whether you debark at Gatwick (outside London) or Heathrow (inside London and on the Tube = subway system)or even from Victoria Station, the best tools to have in your pocket, especially if you are on foot, are two books "From A to Zed" (Zed = “Z”) and “TIME OUT London Guide”. The first book lists every street in London with maps and usually pictures the Tube system on the back cover to show the different lines and their routes. Yet, “From A to Zed” won’t direct you to Buckingham Palace via Trafalgar Square or Piccadilly Circus, unless you know the address, but the Guide will. The London Guide might not help you find the “Slug & Lettuce” Pub, yet it will certainly help you to find numerous other strange named eateries in the city, like 'Tiddy Dols Eating House' or the 'Fox and Anchor'. You can learn about the history of Old London, where to go late night, when Harrods’ has its biggest sales and the London Guide even offers you a Survival Guide with vital tourist information. The books can locate just about any sight or museum you want to visit, and then map it so you can easily find them. Remember to take the Tube line that will get you to, Portobello Market where on the weekends you can find just about anything at this huge, fun, street bazaar. The hotels that offer you private bath or shared, located on Piccadilly or situated on the Thames, are detailed with varying amenities and prices. It all depends on your comfort level and the location, location, location you prefer. Food Tip: Most of the odd named Pubs offer some of the best local fare. From Cabarets to Theatre, from Leicester Square shopping to Public Call Boxes to Medical attention, the London Guide will get you there and the directory will map it for you. Making most of your reservations from home using the Internet for research is the smartest thing to do. Have your money exchanged here paying less for fees and then write down the exchange rate. On your way home get rid of all the change you can, it will not be exchanged. Not knowing the exchange rate or not even asking the diver the fare, I paid 45£’s (the rate at that time was close to two dollars to every pound, I paid $90!) for a ride to a Piccadilly hotel from the Gatwick Airport in an expensive Black Cab. London is full of history, excitement and almost everything there is different, just keep that in mind every morning before you set out on your day. From plugging in your blow dryer to leaving a tip at your dinner table, get to know what is customary and acceptable. Check out the Pub before actually taking a seat and ordering a pint of Lager or Ale, some are not so nice, even those directly across from Westminster Abbey and St. Margaret’s. From the money to the food to the attitudes, watch your P’s and Q’s, the Brits like America, but will remind you who came first. Listen carefully, keep your eyes open, and you will have fabulous trip. On my first trip to Europe I went as a single, white female in my 30’s and had more fun than a single woman should have, but that story’s not worth $1,000, but I hope these tips are worth a Million. Get the books! Good Day! report a problem

Posted on: June 11, 2011 at 12:34PM

I hate to burst your balloon Sherry, but either your memory is bad, or you are being economical with la verité. You cannot get a London black cab FROM Gatwick Airport, they are not licenced to ply for hire there, it is way outside our area, the licenced company there is Gatwick Cars, and if you only paid £45 for the trip then the driver was either nuts or in love with you, or it was in the seventies/eighties! The fare now would be at least £85, more likely £100+. I took four guys from Bloomsbury, (near the British Museum), TO Gatwick a few months back, (I'm a licenced London black cab driver), as I recall, the meter fare was £111.

You are posting a reply to Learning London Leisurely

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions