Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Transportation Around London/England

By scalliewags07

Posted on: August 26, 2009 at 10:46AM

If you want to see more than just out your front door hotel, get a rail pass and a map of the metro system. You can use it to get just about anywhere in London. Also, you can use it to get you out for day trips in Bath and Stonehenge. One thing you'll need to know is you should buy it early as it is cheaper in America and takes a few days to arrive by mail. One more tip if you are going to use a taxi, make sure the cars are black or ask the driver to explain how they are going to get to your destination. There are scam drivers in the main part of London. report a problem

Posted on: June 11, 2011 at 12:03PM

Very true about the scam drivers in the centre at night, if you use them you will NOT be insured. You can call a mini-cab company to pick you up, that is the only time that they can legally carry you. If they approach you and hustle you to use them, their insurance is immediately invalidated as that is against the law, PLUS they will hit you for whatever they think you will stand for. Some clubs will have a guy in the foyer, or on the sidewalk outside, with a clip board, you will be told, "He'll get you a cab." You will say to him, "I'd like a cab to wherever," He'll call his "buddy" who'll charge you an arm and a leg, probably have no idea how to get to your destination, and give the clip board guy a kick-back for supplying you, the mug, to him. When scalliewags says make sure your taxi is black he means that the licenced taxis are generically known as "black cabs". However, they come in various shades now, some completely liveried with an advertisers logo. You can recognise them though because they will have a yellow "TAXI" sign illuminated on the roof, they have meters, and their drivers know London inside out.

You are posting a reply to Transportation Around London/England

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions