Current Time

Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›

By Guest

Posted on: May 08, 2011 at 11:34AM

Ok, so I'm a self declared gelato fanatic. I always mark down all most famous gelato places on my map and visit them. Hands down, best gelato in Florence is Vivoli in Via della Stinche. Others are far from them. The only one which could be a competitor is Grom in Via Oche. Others like Perche no, Carabe will just spoil your taste after Vivoli. For those who like to try different tastes, Vivoli had merengue, tiramisu, cassata, rice, milky way. In my gelato tasting experience I came upon a couple of rules, how to distinguish bad gelato from good: 1. look at the pistachio ice cream. It is supposed to be very mellow green almost like mustard color. If it's bright - run. Turns out that it is hard to make pistachio gelato, so cheap places seem to put in simply taste and dye. 2. if you are in big city like florence - never buy gelato in big piazzas or other attraction places. All the best gelaterias are always hiding in small streets. Exception - Tuscany. As the towns are small there, their best gelaterias are in main piazzas. 3. Look for the awards - italians always hang them on their walls. If gelateria has won some prizes - it can't be bad, right? 4. look for words like gelateria artigianale, which means that it's supposed to be higher quality gelato. All in all, good gelato from just gelato is a huge difference! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Best gelato

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions