Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Port Douglas recent visit

By Irishmary

Posted on: May 05, 2010 at 5:00PM

Just back from a week in Port Douglas, had a great time. Stayed at the Sea Temple spa resort. Had one of the 1-bed (king size) basic rooms, but it was very spacious, very clean, with an amazing spa bath-tub in the bathroom, you could fit 4-6 people in it! Lovely to come back to the cool funky interior after a hot day out and about touring. Service was very good, staff are friendly and helpful. Great swimming pool! You do need a car to get into Port Douglas as i ts about a 10 min drive into town. There are lots of local shuttle buses though to take you to and from the hotel into Port Douglas. Eating at the hotel can be expensive for dinner, but breakfast buffet is very good value. We got lots of 2 for 1 breakfast vouchers when we signed in and used them most days. Would highly recommend the Tin Shed in Port Douglas, go there at sunset for a great view of the water. Food is very well priced, and great selection. You have to order from the cash-desk yourself and then waiters bring the food to your table. But it was the nicest food we had in Port Douglas. Also another good choice is the Beach Shack which is very near the Sea Temple.Its a real local favourite with great pizzas. If you are in the area do not miss the sky-rail cable-car over the rainforest, the views are amazing, and its a great way to experience the rain-forest without having to get down and dirty with the snakes and spiders! :-) .Enjoyed the walk around Kuranda village at the top, but give yourself time there as its worth a couple of hours. The Butterfly sanctury was cool, enormous colourful butterflies and a guide to tell you all about them, entrance is 17 dollars ( a bit steep). Check out the Aboriginal village/cultural experience near the the entrance to Sky-rail, that was really fun and a great way to get an intro into the culture. Combine them both for a full day out.The beaches in the area are divine, though you cant swim at certain times of the year because of jellyfish so consult the locals, and also there are estuarine crocodiles around here, no joke, so be careful! The scenery is magnificient and I love the Australians, they are just so down-to-earth! Bring your mozzie spray, especially around daintree river. Did the tour looking for crocs, did see two of them, one tiny baby one on a log. Mangrove swamps abound here. Mossman gorge is super, but in full flood so we couldnt go swimming, but worth checking out anyway. Dont forget a brollie, it does pour with rain,,,,(you wouldnt think.....). Loved it! report a problem

You are posting a reply to Port Douglas recent visit

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions