Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Affordable Greek Isles

By jenpaxson

Posted on: October 01, 2008 at 4:28PM

I often tell friends and family that I left my heart in Greece. And while I don't have one drop of Greek blood in my rich heritage, I fell in love with this beautiful country and its amazing, warm people. I still feel "homesick" for a spot on the map I only visited for 3 weeks. For two of us, our entire trip (with RT airfare from a small town in Oregon), including food, gifts, lodging, ferries, etc. for THREE weeks cost us just a few dollars over $5,000. And that was back in 2006 when the euro was a bit stronger than it is now. The secret to our dream vacation was going in the slightly-off-season. We arrived in Greece at the end of Sept, and stayed through most of October. Ideally we would have left mid-September, but our schedule didn't allow it. Due to this, we did experience some rain our last week. However, the rain storms were powerful and cleansing, and seemed to leave as quickly as they arrived. They did not damper our spirits or our plans. By traveling in late September or early October, even the smaller islands are still awake and open to tourists, yet the prices are significantly lower. We arrived in Athens and then visited 7 different islands. Most of our rooms were overlooking the crystal clear, heavenly blue sea. We did not need reservations, which gave us great freedom to explore and stay when and where our hearts desired. During this time of year, tourists can simply get off the ferry and speak to one of the many locals offering their accommodations at discounted fares. Most of our rooms cost 25 euros per night, with, again, no reservations, and no minimum stay. Plus they will pick you up from the ferry on the spot and transport you in their car or van straight to your room. Also, during these months, most things are discounted - including food, car/scooter rental, tours, etc. Plus, you get the added perk of being among the locals and not simply surrounded by other tourists. Greece - and in my experience, especially the islands - is a place that is so awe-inspiring, that even when you see it, touch it, taste it and breath it in.... you still simply cannot believe that it is real, and that you are blessed enough to be there. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Affordable Greek Isles

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions