Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

A Perfect Day in Santorini!

By Guest

Posted on: November 23, 2008 at 5:35PM

I visited Santorini recently as a cruise passenger, along with my husband. I’d heard about all the crowds and lines, so I did a lot of planning in advance. I realize for a crowded place like this you “hope for the best, but plan for the worst.” Truth be known, it was an absolutely perfect day! We had no problems, and it was as if every time- connection we made was spot on. For those who don’t know, you must find a way to the top of Santorini from the water below. Cruise passengers and ferry passengers arrive at two different areas. Ferry passengers can take a bus to the island’s station in Fira Town, but cruise passengers must use a tender from the ship to the pier and then have 3 options: 1) take a cable car 2) walk up a switchback 3) take a donkey up the switchback. I’d heard stories about standing in the cable car line for hours, or falls on the switchback, or wild donkey rides! But I’d also heard that an early start was the key, and it held true for us. Here’s what we did: About 7:30am we got on the tender and then had no wait for the cable cars. Fira Town was still “asleep!” It was peaceful to experience this beautiful town before it was jam-packed with tourists. We walked her streets and visited the Museum of Pre-historic Thera and really enjoyed viewing the finds from Akrotiri, especially since the archaeological site is closed to visitors. The bus station is across the street from the museum, and we took a bus to Kamari. From there we found a local agency that offered mini-van rides up the switchback to Ancient Thira. It was an interesting archaeological site that boasted gorgeous views of both the sea and island! We took the bus back from Kamari to Fira, and from there a bus to Oia. (There is only one main bus hub on the island, and “all roads lead to Fira,” so to speak. To get anywhere by bus, you must leave from Fira). The bus was quite crowded, but the journey was worth it, as Oia is gorgeous! Oia is the picturesque village lined with white homes and blue domes you see on most promos for Greece. It’s a photographer’s paradise! Oia has many options for her visitors: unique shops, local artisans, cafes with breathtaking views, swimming at the beach below, and perhaps the best part, pedestrian areas and alleys for just strolling and enjoying the view. After our time there, we caught a bus back to Fira and did some shopping. By now, late in the afternoon, it was crowded and barely resembled the sleepy town we had strolled about in that morning. But it was still enjoyable and full of life. On our journey back down the cable car, we marveled at the perfect day we had. Sunset at the island is a highlight, and our ship offered a Greek BBQ on the deck where we could enjoy the setting sun and bid farewell to this island paradise! report a problem

You are posting a reply to A Perfect Day in Santorini!

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions