Currency

user posts + reviews

• Font Size:  A A A
‹ previous | next ›
Post a Reply Start a New Discussion

Just back from Oahu (February 22, 2011)

By sakndk

Posted on: March 04, 2011 at 7:33PM

The first visual impression of the Outrigger Reef on the Beach was wonderful. It has a open air Hawaiian feel, right on the beach, with a traditional style Tiki bar off to one side. The pool is a saltwater pool, which is a bit small, but adequate enough. The staffed pool area never ran out of fresh towels. The Shorebird restaurant on site is a self-cook restaurant with a large buffet. Although I found many positive recommendations on Trip Adviser, I do not give it a thumbs up. You literally have to cook your own food on a huge grill that chars your face (not kidding) when you try to grill on it. The buffet, I felt, was unsanitary....people licking their fingers then touching the food and serving utensils. Children were picking pieces of food up and then putting them back into the bowl they took it from...then more licking of fingers, and then picking up more from another bowl. One young child was coughing all over the food...I passed on it. Simply a recipe to get sick on vacation. The bill came, and wow, very expensive for sub-par food and also having to cook it yourself. We did find an exceptional restaurant on Oahu. "Wolfgang's". Although a bit expensive, it was a 5 star meal along with 5 star service. Wolfgang's has substantial portions, and superb cuts of meats, cooked to perfection. The appetizers and side dishes were exceptional ...all large enough to share with someone. If you're not on a budget...this is the restaurant for you! Ballpark price...we had steak dinners for 4 people (including 4 appetizers, 2 wines, 2 cocktails, 2 sodas, and one shared dessert) and our bill was $422.98 before tip, which made a grade total of $506.98 after tip. I'm sure to return on my next trip....yum. Make reservations! Now back to Outrigger Reef on the Beach. We made reservations 9 months in advance....we did not get the rooms we reserved...and I called 5 days before arrival to make sure we had the requested rooms so there wouldn't be any surprises upon our arrival. After speaking with the manager, we still had to spend the night in the assigned rooms which were not what we reserved....we were not happy. I later spoke with the manager a 2nd time, and explained we were on our honeymoon, and we just left the Ritz Carlton Kapalua (Maui) with a 2-bedroom, oceanfront, residential suite. We received a phone call the very next morning with an offer of their roof top 2-bedroom suite. It was fabulous, clean, tastefully decorated...and huge. The "oops" with the room assignment was more than made up for. They were apologetic and very polite. Our stay was memorable...we would return regardless of the oversight. report a problem

You are posting a reply to Just back from Oahu (February 22, 2011)

Not ? sign in here ›

*Your post:
Please note that you won't be able to edit your reply after you submit it. No HTML.
I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Posting Guidelines.
‹ previous | next ›
*The Daily Traveler: The day's best travel tips, secrets, and news that won't wait.

My Concierge.com

Advertisement

I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and Mobile Terms and Conditions.

iPhone App:

Create personalized postcards out of your favorite travel photos!

Learn More ›
Subscribe to our free RSS feeds:

Get the latest destinations picks, hot hotel lists, travel deals and blog posts automatically added to your newsreader or your personalized homepage.

Learn More ›

Advertisement

Special Advertisement

Contests, Sweepstakes & Promotions